Thursday, August 30, 2007

Bagley no more

Well, I just found out (after not really checking up the comic loops for the last... I dunno, year?) and Bagley's qutting USM. Or rather quit. About 6 episodes ago.

For those who think I'm speaking geek (I meant to type that since this is clearly English and not in fact, Greek), USm is Ultimate Spider-Man and Bagley's the penciler for it, since day one. His collaboration with Bendis, the writer of USM, has lasted for 110 issues which Wikipedia assures me outstrips the previous 'long collab' record held by Stan Lee and Kirby on their Fantastic Four run. Y'know, back in the day. (Read: before most of us were born) In other words, Bagley's behind the distinctive look of the artwork of USM as we know it. (Though I do love the way Isanove inks. *squee*)

Anyhow, Bagley's been replaced by this chap called Stuart Immonen (Canadian. Hrm. There is doubtlessly a joke that needs to be said with this but I try to keep my racism non-existent. 'Cept for the Irish jokes. Those write themselves.) Sadly the only example of his work I own (as far as I can find) is thoe cover art for Ultimate X-Men in the Ultimates Annuals. I... can't imagine the entire of USM in that style. My mind just balks. (Though he does have pretty stuff up on his site.)

I'm not going to flip out until I've seen USM issue 111 or onwards and gotten a proper look at Immonen's work but one way or another, I'm really sad Bagley's left. I mean, burn out and all is completely understandable but damn, I liked his art.


Unfortunately I am now stone broke (I mean broke. There's 30 cents in my wallet) and between my 360 fund and the new Halo comic that just came out (Halo: Uprising), there's no telling when I'll next be able to afford a trip down to the comic store.

Some of the guys were wondering yesterday why we never get to see the Master Chief's face. It's deliberate; Bungie wants us to be able to maintian this illusion that we are the MC. Hence, no face. Kinda doesn't work that well though when his voice is deep, gravelly and obviously male and you're an 18 year old girl.

No comments: