Thursday, August 9, 2007

NDP

I, uh, got dragged to the NDP yesterday by my Dad and younger brother and I gotta admit I had my reservations. I don't do crowded, hype, heartlanders and government-started pretending to be a patriot by going for an over-advertised event. Besides, like most other kids, I've seen a parade before in P5 and come to the conclusion most of the fun's in being a moron with your friends. So yes, I did go for the "first parade on the world's largest floating platform!" for one reason and one reason only: the goodie bag. And family time of course but if you'd let me pick, I'd have gone with watching a DVD of TMNT (which I still have not seen).

We arrived amazingly late- about 18:10 (there was a sign on one of the gates which read (gantry opens at 1445) and got placed in the overspill seating, putting us about five rows from the front and within shouting distance of the VIP box- if anyone could hear you shouting over the clamour that is. Marching bit was fun (because we were so close and my dad brought binoculars) but without a doubt the hight point of the evening for me was the drive-past of all the uberly cool machinery. Yes, we were close enough to get sprayed by the civil defense chaps with the hose. Maybe there's something to that saying "ladies love armour plating". I know I do! (though Steffi would point out my status as female is under debate... T.T)Anyway after that the rest of the parade is kinda a haze of dances and stuff. Bad lip-syncing included. And the lady in the red dress singing opera? Put it this way; it's a good thing my shirt was already red or the blood streaming from my ears might have made a really bad stain.

I liked the 21 gun salute :) And my goodie bag is purple. Love.

No comments: