Monday, January 14, 2008

'...like two assholes on their first date.'

Not been posting again so here's an uber quick update before I get to the main point of this post. Watched Eastern Promises with Caleb and Char (and lunched with Deb). Watched American Gangster with my grandmother (and found out she watched Eastern Promises too... zomg.) Finished Assassin's Creed (so dissapointing. I was hoping for more. yet, i'm not too surprised. never a good sign. And what is it with the final boss battle? last bit was very much like Fable the Lost Chapters.) Lunched with Steffi and went shopping. finished up my job with Mediacorp. Not necessarily in that order. Oh yeah, Priscilla (ugh, spelling) from SD2(i think) got my job. :) cute.


And with all that out of the way, I can move on to the main point of this post: bitching about Gears of War. Yes, I've finally gotten round to playing it and I'm being a complete wuss and playing on Casual. The Locust scare me, okay? And I'm playing alone all the time now since my bro's out of town. So I like that they go down easy.

Even so, it's hell of a lot more tactical than Halo... Seriously, even on casual, if you don't stick by the maxim of 'duck and cover', you're toast. Not like Halo's Easy at all... and the enemy units are soooo much smarter. they flank you, all the time. I mean the AI engine does make them do dumb shit occasionally but on the whole they're pretty smart, pretty co-ordinated and available in hordes. Plues the emergence holes are... interesting. I'm playing Act Two now which is where it's dark and you've gotta watch out for the Kryl (I think) and man, it's crazy, creepy and fun. And the weapons require a little more thinking too... (Think Hammer of Dawn)

Plus, you're actuall in charge of delta Squad which means you need to give orders. It does help since Dom's an over-zealous sumbitch and Baird's kinda a chicken shit. Cole... Cole's actually not been too bad so far. Except he doesn't seem to get the "duck and cover" bit so well...

Yeah, your squad's AI's are pretty dumb sometimes. Which is really what I want to bitch about because Dom keeps running out and getting his stupid ass shot off by guys I could have taken. then when i run out to heal him, I get shot. After this fifth time this happened, I let the idiot lie there and bleed. He heals automatically when you finish off that bunch of Locust. Except while he's bleeding out, you get his bitching over the radio and no cover fire. Interestingly enough though, he never tries these crazy charges to distract the enemy when you need him too. Say when you're facing a trioka... Baird may be a chicken shit but at least you have steady cover fire so when you fall back to recoup, you don't have to worry about some shit-ass ugly locust popping out of his hole to walk over to your hiding place and whack you.

Well, I think I've ranted enough. The conversation in Delta Squad's pretty funny though. this post title is a line from when the Squad first splits and Marcus takes Baird with him (usually you get Dom. Hence my angst.)


Things like this though make me worry about my sense of humour...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

wassuppppp!
i totally lost you after your first paragraph about shopping and lunching and movies haha.
anyway, i watched eastern promises too! with cynthia. and that chicka didn't warn me in advance about the fingers being chopped off and whatnot. okay, that's a really, really nice way of saying we were squealing like crazy girls during those scenes. haha we figured we would hate ourselves if we were the other people in the same cinema but what the hey, a girl's gotta do what a girl's gotta do.

let's go lunching again soon!

Anonymous said...

HAHAHAHA.

i saw this on caleb's blog:
saw poor Mei cover her eyes with her sweater during some of the more realistic scenes, and I don't blame her.

SO FUNNY ZOMG. i can totally picture you doing it.